Tuesday, September 23, 2008

What we're reading. . .


Since bookclub is tomorrow night, and since now I'll have an excuse to use this picture I love I thought I'd write what we've been reading recently (facinating stuff, I know).

Tom

The Longest Silence: A Life in Fishing, by Thomas McGuane

It's a book of essays on fishing. This is how the description on Amazon starts "As adept as Thomas McGuane has been through the years with a rod in his hand, he's even more skillful with his pen. Join the two like tippet to leader, and the result's as irresistible as a Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear in the middle of a Hendrickson hatch." If you know what that means (I don't) you'll probably like this book.

Amy

The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins









I read it on a recommendation. It's written for the young adult audience. It was interesting and quick to read. If I say anything else I won't have anything to say at bookclub :) It seems like most books are part of a series now though--I like closure, especially if it's going to be a few years before things get wrapped up!
I'm usually in the middle of some type of parenting book (too bad reading hasn't made me a perfect parent yet). The ones I read this summer were "Have a New Kid by Friday," by Kevin Leman (I have to read this one with the book jacket off so my kids won't see it and be offended :) and "Parenting the Strong-Willed Child," by Kevin Hinckley. They both had some good ideas.
Ashley
Can't wait to read: Brisinger, by Christopher Paolini (Tom's waiting too)
She's also on book 10 of the "Tennis Shoes Among the Nephites" Series by Chris Heimerdinger
Courtney

Also loving the Tennis Shoes books

Princess Academy, by Shannon Hale (she's loved it, but currently claims she's stuck at a boring part)


Logan

My Life with the Wave, illustrated by Mark Buehner (we heard about him because he's a very distant relative, but really like all the books he's illustrated--that claim to fame aside:)






Also: Non-fiction books about animals

Matthew

Recent favorites:
Where the Wild Things Are
The Three Billy Goats Gruff

What have you been reading lately? Anything you'd reccomend?

(I should give credit to my friend, Chris Jenkins http://www.chrisjenkinsphotography.com/ for the photo in this post & of the kids on the top of the page. She took our family photos this spring and I was thrilled with them. She's an amazing photographer!)
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. thank you for the shout-out :)

    i'm currently reading Scott Westerfeld's series - I am on the Pretties.

    I just finished reading some YA fiction of teenage spies by Ally Carter.

    I also am getting ready to crack Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to read the Love and Logic books. I keep working at them. They seem to have some good ideas. I also started the Kingdom and the Crown series by Gerald Lund. I'm not getting much reading done lately. Haley is done with that Aragon new book if Ashley and Tom want to borrow it. I love the picture of Ashley, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still reading boring professional literature. But someday I'll get back to reading for pleasure and I'll try some of your recommendations. I love the pic of Ashley reading. It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also reading Where the Wild Things Are, just like Matthew. I always knew we were kindred spirits. It's one of my favorite children's books and when the girls let me pick the bed time story, it's usually the one I pick.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture of Ashley is so cute! Thanks for the good recommendations. I am looking forward to seeing all of you soon.

    ReplyDelete